$16,000 Used 2007 Bobcat 5600
- Engine: hydrogen fuel cell
- Transmission: Hydrostatic
- Warranty: As is - no warranty
2007 Bobcat Toolcat 5600 Hydrogen Powered
Up for sale is a near mint condition 2007 Bobcat Toolcat 5600. It was a former military project that was fitted with a 16kw hydrogen fuel cell in place of the diesel engine. This was a proof of concept vehicle and was used to show that hydrogen is a viable fuel source. A local university acquired the Toolcat and it was used for educational purposes.
The 4 wheel steering works as well as the dump bed. It has the high flow hydraulic line for attachments and it also has the road package. It also has a class III hitch on the back. The bucket is included in the sale as well and shows no signs of use.
I have had it running and moving around but with the colder temps here in North Dakota, the Lithium Ion Polymer batteries have not been taking a charge and currently does not move under its own power. I have kept the charger hooked up all winter so the batteries do not freeze. It will still power on and run through the start up sequence. Just not enough charge to run the hydraulic system in order for the drive to work.
The Toolcat is in exceptional shape with very low hours. It is currently set up so the hydrogen cell charges the battery bank which powers the electric motors to operate the hydraulic pump that runs the drive and the bucket functions. It would not be difficult to remove the hydrogen/electric equipment and install a diesel engine in it.
Here is a list of the specs that came with the Toolcat when I purchased it:
- 1 hydrogen fuel cell with 16kw output
- 1 hydrogen tank with 2.6 cubic feet of capacity at 5000psi
- 1 pack of 5 Lithium Ion Polymer batteries with 100ah capacity
- 1 electric motor driving a hydraulic pump for the steering system
- 1 electric motor driving a hydraulic pump for the dump box, lift arm and drive system
- 3 12v dc lead acid batteries: 1 for 12vdc system and 2 in series for 24vdc system
The Toolcat could easily be repowered with a stock diesel engine (not included) and in the condition it is in, they are selling for right around $25k If it were to be repowered, the hydrogen fuel cell and all related parts could be sold for a decent amount of money and would easily pay for the cost of a new engine for it.
I am looking to get $16000 obo.
Feel free to email me at: email@example.com